Sunday, March 6, 2011

In New Mexico at Last -Finally Where I plan to be

Left Holbrook AZ this morning after taking a brisk walk in subfreezing temperatures. Had some coffee at the motel and that warmed me up, decided to eat only a light breakfast to keep from feeling sluggish. Went out and photographed the wigwam teepees next door so I could see what they were like. They appear pretty roomy and are listed on the National Historic Register too. The sky was cloudy so the light was rather subdued this morning.
The view from Route 66 of the Wigwam Motel

View in the Parking Lot of the Wigwam Motel including the 50's cars- Check the old Hudson!
 


After leaving Holbrook I passed thru some areas of badlands including the area adjacent to the Petrified Forest. Crossed the Lithodendron Wash a couple of times and saw all the old petrified logs in the wash. As we know from Forestry and Grecian root words "Lithodendron" means Trees of stone. There sure are a lot of them there as well as at every roadside stand in Holbrook.
As I got close to Lupton, I knew I was leaving Arizona at at last. When the sign for MP 359 appeared I was ready for this view:

A convenient stop with the knowledge I am in the state I came to do my pilgrimage- and with the Santa Fe train heading west for emphasis


On past the few towns of significance including Gallup. Then at Thoreau I passed the sign for the Continental Divide which seems significant as it suggests I am away from the area I have lived all these years.


At 7245 feet this is not the highest crossing of the Great Divide but it is definitely pretty high. I could just feel the water rushing eastward toward the Rio Grande as I descended towards Albuquerque.


Arrived in Santa Fe this afternoon after going thru the congestion of Albuquerque. Had a snack on the Indian Reservation at San Felipe, NM. Arrived in Santa Fe at about 2:30 and got a motel. This is going to be the last of the motels.
Found people were pretty friendly here although the city seems sort of big and congested. Went to get a bite in a local restaurant and found everyone very friendly. Noticed that the restaurant staff is totally bilingual and although the area is predominately Latino there is a wealthy Anglo enclave. The waiters switch from Spanish to English effortlessly without any accent. What a wonderful gift! At a huge table near where I sat, there were at least a dozen or more kids and they were anglo, black and latino all sitting together and having the best time chattering in at least two langueages I could hear. It was a delight to behold!

Checked Couch Surfing and my host at the end of the week is totally busy and cannot host me. We are meeting tomorrow and will have a get together and I will stay at her place near old town on Monday. Must find another place to stay on Thursday- Friday.
Getting tired and will wind down soon. May not post until I get started on HFH.
Nameste

No comments:

Post a Comment