Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Beautiful Visit and Warm Reception at the Hummingbird Community


Haven’t posted anything since the 16th and have been pretty busy during that time it seems.  The Habitat for Humanity job is completed and I felt it was a really worthwhile and moving experience for me.  Everyone I worked with was very helpful and the second week was definitely easier than week one. I got to do jobs that were a bit easier and allowed me to be outdoors too. All the college students were great workers and their company was terrific. Here are some pictures of me and the college guys on the last day.

Me at the house where we applied kraft paper and chicken wire to get ready for stucco


The college kids from St Josephs College along with La Luna the Puppy at Lunch
 

On the last day we all joined in for the dedication of one of the houses that was completed just before I arrived. A single mother and her daughter are living there and the HFH managers gave a talk and we heard from the new homeowner how she had worked on the house and learned about all the things that go into building a house.  She was so moved that she had been selected to get this house and we all toured the house to see what it looks like after being decorated. I think these are pretty nice houses and they are well built and very energy efficient too. So I got to see the results of my work on a house that will soon be done.

On the 17th thru the 19th I stayed with a host named Tom and he lives far out in the country south of Santa Fe. It is quiet and peaceful at night and I heard coyotes howling at night. This house is quite large and took Tom 20 years to complete. He is a great host and he asked me to join him for diner twice and the meals were delicious. The meditation tower he built was my favorite and I sat there for quite a while before dark on Saturday and also realized that the full moon would rise on the 19th and this would be the full moon on the vernal equinox too.  The sight from the tower was amazing and the moon climbed above low clouds and burst forth in her glory! I had this special view all to myself from the tower on Saturday. This was a wonderful time while visiting Tom.

The Meditation Tower at Tom's House

I also met Tom’s five year old daughter and her name is Anja. She made friends with me immediately and showed me her dance routine and wanted to watch me do a little yoga too. She is a great co host!
 Sunday Morning Mar 20

Left Santa Fe on Sunday morning and have arrived at the Hummingbird Community. It is in a rural setting in the Mora Valley and is on a 500 acre setting south of a high range of snow capped mountains that are over 12000 feet high. My first experience was in the group meditation at one of the community buildings and there were four of us there. It was a great experience and very powerful for all of us and I felt very welcome in the group setting.
I met my host Mandy who I connected with right away and we are definitely on the same wavelength. We had some lunch and I looked in on the garden where new plantings are going in, then took a hike around the grounds. This is a really beautiful intentional community and there is a river running thru that has a swimming hole and a campground and sweat lodge alongside the stream.
Here are some pictures of life at Hummingbird.

The Entrance and Greeting at the Little House where I stayed

A very meaningful statement near the campground written in four languages

The swimming hole on the LaCasa River-the water is really cold now!  


The greenhouse where cabbages and vegetables are growing

That evening I met Mandy’s boyfriend and all of us had a great visit together and I learned about their documentary movie they are working on that documents the places they have visited.
Today I worked on moving windows that will be used to build a greenhouse and also to clean and regrout some countertops in one of the houses. I am very interested in how people pitch in to help here wherever they are needed.
Late in the afternoon I went to Meditation Point which is similar to Fishers Point near Flagstaff but not nearly as long a hike. It sits above a high valley and looks out over a huge granite point of rock.  My accomplice was Zoe who is a wonderful golden retriever and who knew the path to the point without being told. I settled in on the point to take in the wind and sunshine and was absolutely in a state of bliss in this spot.  Zoe sat very quietly as she knew this was a quiet space and that I was not to be disturbed. It got hotter and I removed all my clothing in order to lie back in supine bodekinasana and I remained here in complete comfort for 20 minutes in order to allow thoughts to come and go. This was a very special spot and I see why it has the name it does. When it was time to go Zoe and I went back to the place I am staying. 

Last night I took a nap with my new feline friend Rah who was overjoyed to have a nap companion. He also spent last night with me and made sure I was plenty warm even in the cold room. We had built a fire but it went out in the old time stove before midnight so the house got cold. Slept very soundly in this beautiful place.

Rah was my sleeping companion every night. He is a wonderful kitty and we became fast friends right away

Took some photos of Mandy my host here at the little house and am so impressed with her warmth and generosity. This has been a wonderful visit and I definitely would like to return soon.

Me at the little House in the Library    
My Lovely Host Mandy in the Little House

Mandy and Zoe in the Little House
Me and Rah in the Sitting Room -He is not a totally willing photo subject!

 Tuesday Mar 22
I am leaving Hummingbird for Taos soon. I am totally enthralled with this place!

1 comment: