Sunday, March 27, 2011

Adventures in Taos and the Rio Grande Valley


Left the Hummingbird Community on Tuesday after a great visit there with Mandy and Ryan.
March 22nd, 2011
Headed up thru the mountains toward Taos and found the pass was getting snowy on the roadside and then snow began to fall really hard and covered the road too. It was slushy but was freezing down and seemed very treacherous. There was no snowplow out either. I crept along at about 25 mph until finally I reached the summit and headed downhill toward Taos. The snow finally turned back to rain and then stopped altogether and the road was dry the rest of the way. Very strange weather!
I had run out of couch surfing hosts temporarily so had to crash in a motel while in Taos. Couch Surfing resumes on Saturday night.
I met Sandy James who will be hosting me on Sunday  and we had a great time touring Taos and looking for good places to shop and eat. She and I went to Taos Ski Valley to see the ski area which was not at all busy since the snow was disappearing except for the man-made kind. We also visited the Rio Grande Gorge and walked around the high bridge over the river. Then off to the hot springs at Manby on the Rio Grande which requires a 30 minute hike to the bottom of the gorge. We found two pools there and selected the larger one for soaking and it was wonderful! Water was a nice temperature not real hot but pleasant. There were quite a few people there and we all had a nice visit at this place.
I also checked out Blackwater Hot Springs up the river but it is quite small and not as enjoyable.
Here are some pictures of the trip:
The John Dunn Bridge over the Rio Grande upstream of the high bridge

A walk across the Jon Dunn Bridge with a wooden deck
Me on a Point of rock overlooking the river at the high bridge
A view of the river from the center of the gorge bridge. It shakes when cars go across it.
Me at waters edge at Manby Hot Springs- This is perfect water and soo.. relaxing too
My friend Sandy in the pool at Manby- She seems to be and Earth Goddess as she appears in this pool and a perfect fit for this area
March 25th, 2011
Had planned to go to the Lama Foundation but when I got near to the destination I felt really out of sorts and it seemed like this was not going to be a place that would resonate with my needs or feelings. It may be due to the fact that most everyone is gone from Lama at this time.
So I ended up going to the Hanuman Hindu Temple in Taos and arrived in time for the noon prayer ceremony with chanting. I used the background of the ceremony to do quiet meditation in hopes my true purpose on this journey would be revealed. It seems that what I was looking for was outside surrounding the ceremony but also inside me as I sat in a meditative state. I am sort of at an impasse searching for spirituality in all the places I go but I now think it may already be within me. I felt a great connection to the outdoors and to nature on my way back from Albuquerque to Taos today. Whenever I am outside I feel the spirit moving me especially if I am in a beautiful setting. Today the High Road to Taos fulfilled that need. So it seems if this is a somewhat pantheistic state of mind where a worship of nature is where I am headed. This is why all my pictures focus on nature and the outdoors and places that make me feel at one with nature.
March 26th, 2011
Last night I went to the NM Museum of Natural History in Albuquerque and met my friend Carolyn from High School who coordinated the earth hour event. We had a great visit and I got a tour of the museum and took part in the light out ceremony at 8:30 PM to call attention to reduction of energy use on the planet. I was very moved by the entire ceremony and will visit with Carolyn again soon.
Stayed with a Couch Surf Host named John last night. John lives near the University of New Mexico Campus so it was not too far to head over to the Earth Hour event and also to check out the Plaza in Old Town. Had dinner at the La Placitas in the Plaza area.  John is a metallurgist with lots of tools in his casita so we had a lot to talk about when it came to fixing things on cars and around the house.
March 27th, 2011
Today I am meting my host Sandy who has a new trailer for me to stay in. I am looking forward to this experience.Will report more after I arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment